Navigating Your Career Through the COVID-19 Crisis & Beyond
Info, Insights & Inspiration to Support & Strengthen You through These Tough Times
EDCN COVID-19 Career Webinars
EDCN partners are hosting a series of COVID-related webinars for diverse healthcare management professionals, particularly focusing on career management through this crisis and beyond. Each 45-minute free webinar is an interactive session designed to start a conversation and build community for diverse leaders. After each webinar, participants will be able to continue the dialogue and connect with other diverse healthcare leaders on the Executive Diversity Career Navigator.
Diverse Healthcare Leaders’ COVID-19 Roundtable
In early April 2020, ACHE invited a group of racially/ethnically and LGBTQ diverse healthcare executives to a virtual career roundtable for them to share in a safe space on how they are managing professional and personal realities amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We extend sincere gratitude to the 23 leaders who made time in their extremely busy schedules to participate.
Their insightful, candid comments will help you navigate your career to more-than-survive the current crisis and thrive in the uncertain future that follows. These accomplished healthcare executives explored the questions:
- How are you doing?– Snapshot of their personal well-being, including self-care, work/life integration, and practicing resiliency and perseverance. Roundtable responses-1.
- Should matters related to workforce diversity, equity and inclusion even be raised in COVID-19 crisis setting? Roundtable responses-2
- To what extent do you agree that: Those from marginalized groups are likely to encounter heightened implicit or explicit biases in the current, constant crisis-management healthcare workplace. Roundtable responses-3.
- Agree/Disagree/It Depends: Healthcare organizations’ previous commitment to diversity and inclusion/equity—evidenced, in part, by proper resource allocation—will likely be diminished in the post-pandemic period. Roundtable responses-4
- What key skills and attributes will early and mid-careerists—especially those from underrepresented groups—need to strengthen in order to advance their career in the post-pandemic healthcare workplace? Roundtable responses-5.
EDCN Collaborative Partners COVID-19 Resources
- ACHE COVID-19 Resource Center
- NALHE COVID-19 resource page
- NAHSE COVID-19 resource page
- AHA/IFDHE Updates and Resources on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) page
Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO) COVID-19 Resources page
Human Rights Campaign (HRC) COVID-19 Resource page: Features HRC Issue Brief, “The Lives and Livelihoods of Many in the LGBTQ Community are at Risk Amidst COVID-19 Crisis”
Kaiser Family Foundation: Growing Data Underscore that Communities of Color are Being Harder Hit by COVID-19
Podcasts & Videos
COVID–19: Applying Leadership in a Crisis, by Georges C. Benjamin, MD, executive director of the American Public Health Association.
Dr. Benjamin earned recognition as one of the 100 most influential people in health care from 2007-2017, and among Modern Healthcare magazine’s top 25 minority executives for three years. He shares his leadership expertise in this 17-minute podcast.
Protect Your Mindset: How to Survive COVID-19, by Anton Gunn, MSW, CDM, Hospital Chief Diversity Officer, Executive Director of Community Health Innovation at the Medical University of South Carolina.
Anton Gunn, a best-selling author, speaker, and entrepreneur, offers practical self-care tips to make it through this difficult time in this 6-minute video.